Roasted Buttered Potatoes
A Delicious Potato Side Dish
Who doesn't like delicious roasted potatoes topped with salty Parmesan cheese. These little guys are great served on the side with pretty much any dish. Also, you can top your salad with them for a nice hearty twist. If you can't find small baby red potatoes, you can use regular sized potatoes and cut them to the necessary size. I prefer thin skinned potatoes so you can clean them well and leave the skins on them. If you use a baking potato like a russet potato, the skins are usually thicker and I would suggest peeling the potato.
For an alternative, you can omit the butter and substitute olive oil. Of course you won't get that same buttery flavor but since you are using only 2 tablespoons of butter per 3 pounds of potatoes, you won't be drowning them in buttery calories.
It's all about moderation and not depriving yourself. Your health and fitness is a lifestyle not a short term diet. The moment you start telling yourself "No" or depriving yourself of the things you love, that's when it becomes a chore, and you will end up not sticking with it long term. Instead, allow yourself to eat the things you love, just have a little bit at a time and move on with your life. There is no need to over indulge in the rich foods we love, at the same time, there is no need to deprive ourselves of those things we love either. Keep it balanced, keep it consistent, and you will come out ahead every time!
Serves about 6
- 3 lbs red potatoes, halved
- 2 tbl olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp fresh basil
- 1/3 c grated Parmesan Cheese
- salt/pepper, to taste
- 2 tbl unsalted butter
- 2 tbl chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or cover with parchment paper.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add olive oil, garlic, thyme, oregano, basil, and salt and pepper. Toss to coat and then place the potatoes in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Place into oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- When the potatoes come out of the oven, stir in the butter until melted, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and garnish with parsley.
- Serve warm and Enjoy!