Healthy Coconut Shrimp
Delicious & Nutritious Meals
I love coconut. Especially when it's on some crispy shrimp. However, fried coconut shrimp can rack up some calories. But these healthy coconut shrimp will allow you to get that coconut shrimp fix without sacrificing your clean diet. By baking these instead of frying them, you are omitting the oil. Also, usually sweetened sugary coconut is used, but since coconut has a naturally sweetness to it, there is no need to use sugary sweetened coconut. As an option, if you would like to add a hint more sweetness, drizzle in some agave or honey with the coconut mixture.
Since shrimp takes just a few minutes to cook, there is not much time or ingredients involved in making this great dish. These delicious healthy coconut shrimp can be served as an appetizer or snack with an apricot dipping sauce or as a dinner over rice and veggies. I served mine over jasmine rice with asparagus and made a spicy Dijon ginger sauce.
- 1lb (24) large raw shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1/2c + 1tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2c + 1tbsp panko or regular bread crumbs
- 2tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- pinch salt
- non-stick spray (I used my misto)
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Spray a non-stick baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Combine coconut flakes, panko or bread crumbs and salt in a bowl. Place the flour on a small dish.
- Whisk egg in another bowl.
- Lightly season shrimp with salt.
- Dip the shrimp in the flour, shaking off excess, then into the egg, then in the coconut crumb mixture.
- Lay shrimp on the cookie sheet then spray the top of the shrimp with more cooking spray
- Bake in the middle rack for about 10 minutes. Turn shrimp over then cook another 6-7 minutes or until cooked though. Remove from oven and serve.