Quick & Easy Chicken with Cashew Dinner
I love eating Asian inspired foods and Cashew Chicken is one of my favorites! However, usually those types of dishes can be high in sodium, fat, and carbs. This healthy cashew chicken recipe allows you to enjoy your favorite asian dishes without all of the added calories.
Since this dish only takes about 25 minutes to prepare, you don't have any excuses as to why you can't prepare a healthy delicious meal. Also, when you serve this over brown rice instead of white rice, you are adding a lot more nutrients to your meal!
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch, divided
- 1 1/2 Tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 3 green onions, chopped, whites and greens divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp finely grated, peeled fresh ginger
- 2/3 cup lightly salted cashews
- Red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, toss chicken with 1 Tbsp cornstarch to evenly coat.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp of oil over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add half of the chicken, and cook stirring frequently, until chicken is is golden brown and has cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate (leaving the remaining oil in skillet - it should be about 1 tsp) and add another 1/2 Tbsp of oil to skillet. Cook remaining chicken until golden brown and cooked through, then transfer to plate with first batch of chicken.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together chicken broth, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey and remaining 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch until well blended.
- Heat the remaining 1 tsp of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add green onion whites, garlic, ginger and cashews and sauté until cashews are golden brown, about 1 minute.
- Pour in hoisin sauce mixture, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat, add chicken to sauce and toss to evenly coat. Serve warm with brown rice or quinoa and top with greens of green onions and sprinkle with red pepper flakes if desired.