Healthy Apple Breakfast Side Dish
An apple a day may keep the doctor away but, these delicious healthy baked cinnamon apples won't keep your friends and family away from your dining table! This recipe is so amazing, and because it contains no refined sugars, you can help yourself to as many servings as you can manage! These not only make a great breakfast dish, but you can also bring them to your Thanksgiving get together as a side dish and have them along side your turkey. Add nuts, or even raisins to jazz it up a bit more! Another option, top with vanilla ice cream and eat for dessert! (You know I had to put a dessert option in there somewhere. Heck I'd make chicken into dessert if I could!)
Did you know that apples ranked second highest for antioxidant activity? Because of the extreme health benefits of apples, you don't need to worry about overdoing it on this fruit! Apples are also such a versatile fruit. You can chop them up and put them in a salad, slice them thin and add them to your grilled cheese sandwich, bake them with your chicken, or have them for dessert. The firm texture allows them to be a great food to cook and bake with, without them becoming mush, and the sweet and tart flavor makes them a great addition to any dish.
So, here is the recipe for these amazing cinnamon baked apples. It's not only delicious but it's EASY! Slice, mix, bake, ENJOY!
Serves about 6
- 6 apples, cored and sliced into wedges
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1c almond flour/meal
- 1/4c coconut oil, melted
- 2tbsp 100% maple syrup
- 1/2tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Optional: 3/4c of any of the following (feel free to add more than one or create your own additions) walnuts, raisins, dried cranberries (ice cream!)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the apple wedges into a baking dish. Pour the lemon juice over the apples to prevent any browning.
- In a small bowl, mix the almond flour/meal, coconut oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, and sea salt, until combined. Sprinkle in any optional ingredients (except the ice cream, save that for after you bake them)
- Sprinkle the cinnamon mixture over the apples. Use your hands to help coat the apples with the mixture.
- Place the apples in the preheated oven and bake for about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving.