Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
Soup Good For The Cold Weather
I used to not like the cold weather, however, with soups like this to keep me warm, there's not much complaining going on over here anymore. This creamy sweet potato soup may be creamy, but you don't need to ruin your clean eating with a bunch of heavy cream. Lucky for us, sweet potatoes already offer a natural creaminess to this sweet potato soup. So, no need to sacrifice anything with this recipe.
Pair this soup with a delicious sandwich, salad, or have it on its own for a lovely lunch or dinner (or even breakfast, because it's that good!) Top with crispy bacon, or keep it lean with lean turkey bacon and you've got yourself a delicious meal in a bowl.
Even if you're making this for 1 or 2 people, go ahead and make the whole recipe. You'll thank me the next day when you have lovely leftovers.
- 2lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2 large)
- 2tsp olive oil
- 1c onion, chopped
- 1/2tsp ground cumin
- 1/4tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4c unsalted chicken or veggie stock
- 1/4tsp salt
- 6 slices bacon, pork or turkey, cooked and crumbled
- 1oz fresh Parmesan cheese, shaved (about 1/4 cup)
- 2tbsp flat-leaf parsley or cilantro leaves, garnish
- Place potatoes in a pot of cold water. Bring to a boil until fork tender. Drain and leave in pan until ready to use.
- Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat. Heat oil. Add onion and saute for 1 minute or until translucent.
- Stir in cumin and red pepper flakes. Add stock to pan and bring to a boil.
- Place the sweet potatoes into the pan with the stock mixture. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Alternativley, if you don't have an immersion blender, put in a blender and blend in batches until creamy and smooth and return to the pan.
- Stir in salt. Divide soup evenly among 6 bowls
- Sprinkle cooked bacon and Parmesan cheese evenly over top.
- Garnish with parsley or cilantro, if desired.