Healthy Bite Sized Chocolate Covered Coconut Balls
I love coconut. Especially chocolate coconut balls. However, most of the coconut desserts out there are drenched in processed refined sugars which take away from the health benefits of coconut. Coconut stabilizes blood sugar, lowers cholesterol, hydrates, and even replaces blood plasma in an emergency.
For another chocolate dipping sauce option, dip your coconut in melted dark chocolate. Try using a dark chocolate vs a milk chocolate since dark chocolate will contain less sugar. If you want to take these to the next level, toast the coconut in a pan on top of the stove for a toasted coconut flavor! Delicious!
Makes about 20 Bites
- 1 cup cashews
- 3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 tsp vanilla extract, divided
- 4 tbsp maple syrup, divided
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Blend cashews and unsweetened shredded coconut in a food processor until mixture is finely chopped.
- Add 1 tsp vanilla and 2 tbsp maple syrup and blend more until mixture is slightly sticky.
- Form mixture into balls and freeze for 20 minutes
- Mix cocoa powder, coconut oil, remaining 1 tsp of vanilla and remaining 2 tbsp maple syrup to make chocolate sauce
- Dip coconut balls into chocolate mixture covering entirely and set on parchment paper
- Freeze again for about 20 minutes
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Eat straight from the fridge or leave out for a few minutes to soften up. Enjoy!