BBQ Chicken "B.L.T" Sandwich
Healthy BBQ Chicken Sandwich
What is a BBQ Chicken B.A.T sandwich you ask? A BBQ Chicken, Bacon, Avocado, and Tomato Sandwich of course! While it sounds like an artery clogging meal, when made with the proper ingredients it can be quite healthy and full of nutrients. First, let's start with your BBQ sauce. Unless you can can make an AMAZING homemade BBQ sauce, I'd stick with store bought. I buy mine from Trader Joe's which is low in sugar (10g) and carbs (11g) and no fat. When it comes to your chicken, be sure to either grill it in a grill pan or bake it.
Now for the B.A.T. Choose a lean turkey bacon. Going with a pork bacon is going to be high in fat and calories. If you choose turkey bacon, turkey is very lean and low in calories yet high in protein. Fresh avocado and Tomato round this sandwich out.
As far as bread, I went with a pretzel bread. While it wasn't very forgiving on carbs, it was low in sugar. Other options are to choose and Ezekiel bread or whole grain bread. If you know you are going to have a high carb food item, just limit your carbs throughout your day so that you can indulge and enjoy your pretzel rolls.
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 3/4c BBQ Sauce
- 4 slices lean turkey bacon, baked or grilled
- 1/4 of a ripe avocado, sliced
- 1/2 fresh tomato, sliced
- Bread of choice (pretzel roll pictured)
- Prepare chicken by grilling or baking. Half way through cooking process, baste with BBQ Sauce.
- Cook bacon on grill pan or in the oven.
- Slice cooked chicken and place on bread. Top with bacon, avocado, and tomato. Add extra BBQ sauce to the bread if desired.
- Toast sandwich in the oven or on a panini press.